Who is the div.II champion this year?

Discuss topics unique to Open Class Drum Corps

Moderator: The Moderating Team

crazybass
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Who is the div.II champion this year?

Post by crazybass » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:19 pm

I am so confused about D.C.I.'s way of doing things now. I clearly saw a gold medal from thursday's finals and it said div.II champions. Then you see another corp receiving a trophy on saturday saying that they are Div. II champions. What the #### is going on? I think that they need to take a good look at things and fix this problem before next season! :hum:

NickM
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:05 pm
Location: Douglas, MA USA
Contact:

Post by NickM » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:05 am

The div 2 winners were the East Coast Spartans from Nashua, MA. :?


Just kidding!!

DCI announced the East Coast Jazz as Div 2 champions at the Finals retreat on Saturday night.
NickM
Valley Airs Drum and Bugle Corps
Douglas High School Percussion Instructor
http://www.valleyairs.org

dcifan3
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:03 pm

Post by dcifan3 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:09 pm

At Div I finals Saturday night ECJ was announced as Div II World Champions, Spartans were also announced as Div II Gold Medalist. Only The World champs are recognized on the field and take part in full retreat.

Having seen the gold medal, they read 'Div II Divisional Champion', as does the patch the Spartans received.

Congrats to both corps, it was a great season

User avatar
CaptnContra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Post by CaptnContra » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:22 pm

OK now I'm confused... was it a tie? Two DivII champs?

User avatar
Mcgyver2u
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2065
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:33 pm

Post by Mcgyver2u » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:00 am

CaptnContra wrote:OK now I'm confused... was it a tie? Two DivII champs?
Spartans - 2005 DCI Division 2 Champions
ECJ - 2005 DCI Grand Finals WORLD Champions

Raiders - 2005 DCI DIvision3 Champions & Division 3 Grand Finals World Champions

User avatar
CaptnContra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Post by CaptnContra » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:22 pm

OK, now thats lame... I guess its like winning sweepstakes at a H.S. show? So what it really means in a non-idiotic way is that ECJ placed first and Spartans placed second. More and more like a BOA show...





I'm sad.

User avatar
EmeraldDirector
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Wildomar, Ca
Contact:

Post by EmeraldDirector » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:49 am

CaptnContra wrote:OK, now thats lame... I guess its like winning sweepstakes at a H.S. show? So what it really means in a non-idiotic way is that ECJ placed first and Spartans placed second. More and more like a BOA show...





I'm sad.


I totally agree with everyone on this. I believe the true champions are East Coast Jazz!


:wink: :lol: 8-)
Elizabeth Ortiz

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

maxsdad
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:27 pm

both are good

Post by maxsdad » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:50 am

either way neither corps is as good as when I marched spartans in 95,96,97. but back then both corps got the shaft. I'm glad to see the 2 corps finally getting respect.

User avatar
docfox
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Newburgh, IN
Contact:

Post by docfox » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:16 pm

The good news is, that in 2006 this will not be a problem. The Grand Finals were an extra show to combine the top Div II/III corps into one show and to add revenue.

But when a corps wins the Div II title and a different corps wins the Grand Finals, confusion abounds.

No more grand finals. No more confusion in 2006. But, you have to give it to both the corps in 2005!

Jim
Dr. Jim Fox

Owner of iBowTie Online Brass Store

ALL BRASS BAND streaming radio:
http://www.live365.com/stations/docfox?play

User avatar
bari_benzo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:39 am
Location: Saitama, Japan
Contact:

Post by bari_benzo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:58 pm

IT'll be different.

It'll be an old fashion prelims/semis/finals format, just like D1. No more division or grand finals :clap2:
Eddie

User avatar
docfox
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Newburgh, IN
Contact:

Post by docfox » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:08 pm

bari_benzo wrote:IT'll be different.

It'll be an old fashion prelims/semis/finals format, just like D1. No more division or grand finals :clap2:
Yep ... and no more "quarter finals". They will use the term "prelims". And the II/III finals will be in the same venue as the Div I. That should provide for a bigger crowd.

Jim
Dr. Jim Fox

Owner of iBowTie Online Brass Store

ALL BRASS BAND streaming radio:
http://www.live365.com/stations/docfox?play

Blurae1
All Star
All Star
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: North Louisiana

Post by Blurae1 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:17 am

Is there a different set of rules for div II & III. Looking at the scores , it seems, at least on paper, some II & III corps are better than Div. I corps..............Bill

User avatar
docfox
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Newburgh, IN
Contact:

Post by docfox » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:23 am

Blurae1 wrote:Is there a different set of rules for div II & III. Looking at the scores , it seems, at least on paper, some II & III corps are better than Div. I corps..............Bill
Yes ... as of 2001 (that seems right, but it is off the top of my head) the corps have been scored on different sheets. The criteria not being quite as stringent for the Div II/III corps. Some say it makes about a 10 to 15 point difference.

Jim
Dr. Jim Fox

Owner of iBowTie Online Brass Store

ALL BRASS BAND streaming radio:
http://www.live365.com/stations/docfox?play

User avatar
vaguardguy
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Burke, VA
Contact:

Post by vaguardguy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:17 am

docfox wrote:
Blurae1 wrote:Is there a different set of rules for div II & III. Looking at the scores , it seems, at least on paper, some II & III corps are better than Div. I corps..............Bill
Yes ... as of 2001 (that seems right, but it is off the top of my head) the corps have been scored on different sheets. The criteria not being quite as stringent for the Div II/III corps. Some say it makes about a 10 to 15 point difference.

Jim
Looking at the scores of corps who advanced from DivII/DivIII/A/A-60 to DivI/Open Prelims/Quarterfinals over the years, I think II/III and A/A-60 have had different criteria since at least the mid-80's.

Yes, some DivII/III corps are indeed competitively stronger than some DivI corps. Historically, the best DivII/III corps that would advance to DivI Quarterfinals (top 5 DivII/III corps prior to 2003) would finish in the 15th-17th range. The best finish was Magic of Orlando in 2002 finishing 11th place at DivI finals (and posting the highest DivII score ever a few nights earlier), but arguably they never should've been in DivII in the first place.
Christopher Roland
Lehigh Valley Knights '02-'04
Guard

opensecret
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:58 am

Post by opensecret » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:56 am

vaguardguy wrote:
Looking at the scores of corps who advanced from DivII/DivIII/A/A-60 to DivI/Open Prelims/Quarterfinals over the years, I think II/III and A/A-60 have had different criteria since at least the mid-80's.

Yes, some DivII/III corps are indeed competitively stronger than some DivI corps. Historically, the best DivII/III corps that would advance to DivI Quarterfinals (top 5 DivII/III corps prior to 2003) would finish in the 15th-17th range. The best finish was Magic of Orlando in 2002 finishing 11th place at DivI finals (and posting the highest DivII score ever a few nights earlier), but arguably they never should've been in DivII in the first place.
As a new to Division II mom (last year) I find this discussion interesting and enlightening.

Although I marched many, many year ago and I have followed drum corps as a casual fan since then, I found last year that I know very little really about current divisions, scoring, standings, etc. I am learning as we go along.

Would 2001 be the year after Magic of Orlando had taken a year off for some reason? After that year they went back to Division I status, did they not?

How often does it happen that a Division I corps takes a year off and returns competitively as a Division II corps?

This appears to be something that the Troopers are going through at the moment. As an old Trooper fan I am hoping that they will be able to do everything they need to do to return as a Division I corps for their 50th anniversary. I am digressing ...

So did the changes in the scoring sheets take place after or before the finals in 2001?

Do these changes preclude the corps from the other divisions from ever competing in the quarterfinals?

Thanks in advance for shedding any light in the dark regions of my drum corps mind,

:) Pat

Post Reply